Thursday, March 27, 2008

Screwball/romantic comedy post


This unit really has opened my eyes. I had initially thought that romantic comedies were all lame cutesy chick flicks starring the shirtless Matthew Mcconaughey, which always resulted in the male and female lead happily together, only to really end up adding to the increasing divorce rate . But, after watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind, I now have more respect or at least appreciation for the genre. In fact, I actually Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind quite meaningful. Those Matthew Mcconaughey should be ashamed for tarnishing the genre!
I think that the film questions whether we should just try to forget old mistakes, and just live in an artificial bliss-like world created within our minds that is oblivious of reality. I really like the film, because I think it poses such a direct question: if you had a memory erasing machine, would you use it? Obviously the most instinctive answer would be "no". However, personally, after I thought "no" in my mind, I started to question my instinct. We all have some humiliating experiences, and sometimes, you feel that life would just be better without them. The procedure in the movies would make life become dream-like and surreal, which in some cases would be akin to a state of intense joy (after all, isn't that why people drink alcohol, and take drugs?). The very notion of myself actually considering something like this seemed quite scary to me, but it's also why I think it is a good movie - it actually questioned the concept enough to make even consider it.
So, to me, the movie is very clearly against the idea of living in this false sense of reality. This is shown directly through Joel's actions. Although he opts to undergo the procedure, halfway through he ends up regretting it. This is when Joel is going through the good memories he has with Clementine that he realizes that he doesn't want to let go of the most intimate moments of his relationship with Clem. Also, at the end of the movie, Joel asks Clem to stay with him and weather the relationship regardless of their supposedly inevitable falling out later. I think the movie does imply that they will work the problems in the relationship, due to the desire to regain and actually keep the "good memories" from their previous relationships.

No comments: